All I Really Need to Know I Learned at the 3rd Annual Cool Coaching Campout
Last month, my buddy Drew and I hosted the 3rd Annual Cool Coaching Campout. I want to thank all the campers for an insightful kickoff to summer. I thought it might be fun to share with you some of the things I learned that weekend.
1. Any event that has fun as its underlying theme will serve to evolve you faster than all the classes, workshops and self-help books you want to take on.
“Hard work never killed anybody but why take the chance?” ~Edgar Bergen
2. When strangers come in to your life with a sense of playfulness, you get to look at yourself in new ways.
“We find comfort among those who agree with us--growth among those who don't.” ~Frank A. Clark
3. New people bring new questions.
“What do you get when you cross an insomniac, a dyslexic, and an agnostic? Someone who lies awake all night wondering if there really is a Dog.”
4. And speaking of dogs, cooking outside with two dogs patrolling the perimeter makes for fast cleanup.
“If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.” ~Phil Pastoret
5. Ohio, Ontario and Michigan can connect in more ways than geographically.
“Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends.” ~Mary Catherwood
6. When eight people want the rain to stop, it does.
“There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” ~Albert Einstein
7. Don't discount the guy who describes himself as “driven.” He has an interesting story to tell.
“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” ~Dale Carnegie
8. It's often more fun to paddle in circles than to just go downstream.
“Do the common thing in an uncommon way.” ~Booker T. Washington
9. An ex-Marine can coach by the seat of his pants.
“When I hear somebody sigh that ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” ~Sydney Harris
10. When you put a bunch of people with different rhythms, ways of being and internal clocks together, the fire just can't go out!
“Spring is nature's way of saying, ‘Let's party!’” ~Robin Williams
It's quiet in my backyard now. The dogs are lying in the sun and waiting for me to take them for a walk. I enjoy the peace and serenity. No sounds but that of the creek bubbling on its way to the river. But there's a part of me that misses the laughter, music and outrageous questions that energized every moment of the 3rd Annual CCC. Thanks to Jen, Kemp, Brian, Julian, Deb, Dan and Drew for shaking my life up for one very fine weekend.